Sunday, September 15, 2019

Projects...

In an ideal world, we get errands such as buying groceries, going to the transfer station and such all done on Saturday. This leaves Sunday for us to relax and enjoy. But the world, (although lovely) is not ideal. We ran a bunch of errands and did a few busy things yesterday, but there were more things to be done today. After a treat of breakfast out, we took a little drive north on route 1. Beautiful homes, bright gardens, scenic vistas of ocean and bays spread all around us. The day was brilliant and warm. We stopped into a few antique stores, and at a favorite old flea market that we have not been to in ages.

We came home with an antique enameled colander, a couple books, some locally made soap, and a fun wreath for the chicken coop. All for about $30. We were having a lovely time, but there were projects awaiting us at home.

Last week the inside of the donkey dorm got a coat of white stain. Purely decorative, it certainly brightened the place up. The outside got a fresh coat of stain as well, to cover up where the animals rub and leave dirty smears. The nice new door got stained, too.  Rachel's high school pal Bruce took this job on, and did good work.


Today we hung the rigid plastic panel over the front "window," of the donkey dorm and put the goat window back in their cozy.. We take these down in the spring to allow better air flow.  Cool weather is coming, and it was nice to get this chore done before it gets really cold.

I locked the goats up while Chris worked, because they are known for dumping tools and boxes of hardware with reckless abandon. Bliss rested her head on the gate to her room, and took a little snooze. Clearly watching people work is exhausting. 


While Chris had his trusty power tools out, I got him to move the mineral feeder to a better spot, and hang these fabulous crow hooks, so now I have a spot to hang brushes, hoof picks and such where they will be handy to use.

And then...


Chris hung up a little treasure I found at a tag sale early last spring. The woman I bought it from said, "I think our family bought this in Bolivia. We lived there in the 50's."  I've been waiting until the donkey dorm got a fresh coat of stain to hang it, and today was the happy day. I think it looks terrific.


Next on the agenda was finishing up the "freshen the coop" project.  In my last blog I wrote about my white wash experiment. I put a second coat of it up yesterday. I'd say my scheme has mixed results. The coop does look brighter with the white wash, but the finish is not as even as I would like. However, if the wash does as promised and helps prevent insects from making the place home, I will call it a success. Today I touched things up, swept the floor clean, and made the place cozy for the 21 new White Rock chicks that are now a week old. They are beginning to get tiny little wing and tail feathers, and are a delight to watch. I keep my old blue muck bucket in the coop, turned upside down, and use it as a seat while I hang out with my "peeps." I find them endlessly entertaining. 


To cap off the lovely day, Rachel and Evans joined us for supper. They brought some fresh Pemaquid oysters. I have had very limited oyster experience, and Evans showed me how to add a little horse radish to one, and let it slip from it's shell, then slide, delicious and briny, over my taste buds. I quite liked it, and look forward to trying more. 



 We made focaccia, and ate it hot, dipped in garlic-infused olive oil, while fresh corn on the cob and lobsters cooked. The ruddy sun sank behind the ridge, and bats flitted low over the meadow. We had some outside lights and the flames from the fire pit to illuminate our feast. It may well be the last picnic table lobster of the season, and it may have been the best, too. We all agreed that the lobster seemed sweeter than usual. The corn more flavorful. And oh, that hot from the oven bread! We lingered a while, chatting. The dogs lounged in the grass by the fire, and I was steeped in contentment. 

Morning adventures, perfect weather, completed projects, and an extra fine supper make for a marvelous day. 




No comments: