Sunday, September 22, 2019

Slice of heaven...

I had happy plans for the day. I was going to meet favorite friends and do some dog training. The friends and I were going to have lunch first. All of this would be a delight. I was doing chores this morning, shoveling manure, feeding animals, topping up water containers. My phone buzzed. It was our friend Susan. Did we want to go out on their boat today, and have a picnic? The weather looked fine. I juggled my commitment with the total joy my husband would have with a day on the water. My commitment lost.  Just then I saw Chris walking my way. "Did you get a text?" I asked.  "You want to go?" he asked, hopefully.

We packed some cold drinks and stopped and grabbed some sandwiches. Then we met our friends at Rockport Harbor.

In moments we were headed out to sea. I was grinnin' like a possum.

Chris was, too. 
Our friends dogs were on board. Sylvie and Hugo. They made everything even better. 
The views were out of this world. 

We tied up near an island and ate our picnic lunch. Gulls swooped, waves lapped against the boat. The sun was summer warm, and everything was peaceful.

Afterwards we stopped at an island, and took a brief walk. The dogs were happy. 




The scenery made my sigh. Multiple times. 






The wind was higher and the seas a little rougher on the way back. I loved it. The dogs were less enthused. Waves splashed and I got a little wet. I loved that, too.

Then we were back at the dock, and soon home. Our dogs were glad to see us. We enjoyed the late afternoon, watching the goats and donkeys meander around the pasture.  A simple grilled supper at the picnic table and then in for the evening. Today was filled with sunshine, the sea and good company. A slice of heaven.


No comments: