Sunday, July 18, 2021

Life with Chris...

 

Chris leaves our toothbrushes like this, "kissing," every morning and evening. When we go to bed at night, he nests my eyeglasses into his, so they "snuggle" while we sleep. 

Every morning when I wake up, with the wrinkles, sags, and silver hair earned with 61 years on the planet, he says, "You are so pretty," or "My goodness, you are a handsome woman." Before he goes to work he puts on a little aftershave, then kisses me sweetly, rubbing his beard on my face so the scent lingers through the morning hours. He has a long commute and is often gone 10-12 hours, but he comes home smiling, gives a long hug, and chats happily about his day. 

Chris loves to feed people, and keeps frequent guest's favorite beer or spirit on hand so he can please them when they arrive. An excellent cook, he manages to use a vast array of pots, bowls, and dishes for even a simple meal. I clean up with gratitude in my heart, to live with a man who takes such delight in preparing and serving food to those he loves. 

He wears big boots with rugged soles and tracks what I call "boot waffles" through the house. Mostly when the floors are freshly washed. He is genuinely surprised when I point this out, never noticing the mess. I grumble, but really this is a nice attribute because when I inevitably make a mess he doesn't ever mind. 

Life with Chris means that no matter what he and I are doing if our daughter should call and need him, he drops everything to respond. My feelings can't stay hurt... who could begrudge a man who loves his child so much? 

Chris likes to tell jokes and stories to make people laugh. The joy on his face when someone at our table laughs so hard they have to wipe their eyes makes my eyes leak a little, too. 

My late "Aunt" Pearl used to say, "You have a true helpmate in Chris." If it's time to clean the chicken coop, he's there to haul muck buckets of shavings away. The same is true when I clean the goat cozy and donkey dorm, "Everything is easier when we do it together," he says. 

Rachel says, "You don't write enough about dad in your blog." She's right. He is the sunshine in my wee solar system. All that is wonderful in my world revolves around life with Chris. 


No comments: