Friday, November 24, 2023

Gathered...

 The last guest has gone home, and the house is very quiet. It wasn't that way... the first visitors came Wednesday, and at one point, we had two additional air mattresses inflated and tucked in spare rooms as more family arrived. 

Rachel, Deb, and John all pitched in with cooking, and the joint effort was delicious. 

Niece Emily and her family brought whimsy and laughter. The Owlet was thrilled to have her big cousins here. There were shrieks and giggles, tickles and laughter, visits with goats and snuggles. 


Inside, the air was fragrant with the scent of our favorite seasonal foods. The dessert table was laden. 

My grandmother's silver sat side by side with gifted China, thrifted butter dishes, and salt and pepper shakers. In addition to doing all the shopping, Chris brought me buttercream roses to decorate with. So pretty! 

 


I got to hug my baby and her soon-to-arrive baby simultaneously. Lucky me! We wore matching dresses for fun. 

If our calculations are correct, Chris and I have hosted Thanksgiving for 34 years. The menu has varied a little from year to year, as has the location and guest list, but this holiday is special for me. The preparation, the teamwork, the cooking, and, best of all, the gathering of the ones I love. 

This year, we missed some favorite faces around the table, but we had the added joy of 
anticipating a new babe and watching the three youngest of the clan play. It was an excellent gathering. 



No comments: