Sunday, November 12, 2023

Kind November...

 The weather has been kind to us, and I have been able to get more yard projects done. To make the jobs even more enjoyable, I invite the goats to leave their pasture and join me in the fenced yard. Since the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, they are delighted when I prop the gate open, and all rush to explore the more novel space. We don't allow them into the backyard during the summer because they destroy the gardens and poop on the picnic table. But now that the outside dining season is well past, they can do as they please. 

They nibble on the plants I am trimming, dance on the lawn chairs, and make me laugh while I work. There is something joyous about them. Last week, a car pulled into the driveway, and a couple got out and asked if they could see the goats. They were visiting from Cape Cod and had never met one. I was working, but Chris was here and kindly took them out to the pasture. The little herd dutifully charged up to them and showed off their cuteness. The people told Chris the visit was the highlight of their trip. 

The Owlet was here yesterday for a little while as her mama worked on a project. She loves to be outside more than anything, so she joined me as I put a garden to bed. "Owl help," she proclaimed and carefully picked up the foliage I was discarding and placed it, piece by piece, into the wheelbarrow. She turned two this month and is becoming competent at many things. Her vocabulary grows by the day; she is interested in counting, loves books above all toys, has firm opinions about things, is fascinated by big trucks, and is generally the most delightful and happy little spirit. Seeing so much of her is an enormous blessing; this grandparenting stuff is even more fun than anticipated. 

My focus is turning toward the annual Thanksgiving feast, preparing the house for guests, plotting the menu, and planning the supplies needed. I look forward to this holiday all year and am excited to hear the voices and laughter of my nearest and dearest filling the house once more. I have so much to be grateful for. 


No comments: