Sunday, November 19, 2023

Straddling the Seasons...

 We are excitedly gearing up for the Thanksgiving feast. This will be the twentieth year we have hosted it in this good house. The guest list varies. This year will be a smaller than usual group, just sixteen around the table. In readiness, I catch up on lots of things that I have procrastinated ... like cleaning the pantry, washing the China, and polishing the silver. The groceries for preparing the meal have been bought. A locally raised turkey is nestled in the refrigerator. The guest room is ready. 

The weather has been mild, but it won't last. I wanted to do some exterior winter decorating while I could, so today Chris helped me cut down a few small pine trees and bring them to the yard. I snipped and cut and filled the old iron clawfoot tub at the end of the driveway and a big galvanized tub with them. A nice neighbor friend let us steal some brilliant winter berry boughs from her land to brighten the tubs up. It was great to get this done before the cold weather freezes the soil in the tubs, making it difficult (or impossible) to secure the branches. 

  

                                                  

Next, we put batteries in all the little window candles and set them on every sill at dusk. Then we took a break and went out for an early supper. The house looked so pretty when we drove away. 

I like to celebrate each holiday in its own time and, in an ideal world, not decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving is over, but this year, I am straddling the seasons. There are busy days ahead... Thanksgiving, birthdays, Christmas, and a new grandbaby expected before the New Year. I plan to embrace each happy moment. Preparing a bit in advance will help. 




No comments: