Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Chickens...

Last September, 21 new White Rock chicks arrived in the mail. I've enjoyed them very much, sitting out in the coop with them while they were little, feeding them out of my hand, delighting in their antics.
They are 5 months old now, and looking very adult.

 When chicks are tiny, they don't have visible combs or wattles. As they grow and get their adult plumage, little combs and wattles appear, in a soft pink color. As they reach maturity, the pink blushes to a deep red. Once that happens eggs follow soon after. (Interestingly, when hens become too old to lay many or any eggs, the combs fade in color.)


This breed lays brown shelled eggs. The first ones are quite small, but otherwise perfect. They will get larger as the hens mature. So far I only get a few eggs a day, but as the days grow longer and the birds get a little older, we will be collecting a lovely basket full every day. I can hardly wait.

I ended up with two roosters. Randy Roo and Randy II. They are quite handsome, and so far are behaving nicely. They haven't been fighting with each other, and neither have attacked me yet. I hope this pleasant trend continues.

I am looking forward to seeing the flock of them wander about the pasture once the snow is gone. I think a flock of white birds pottering about will be fun to see.  And there will be all those nice eggs, too.I certainly enjoy having chickens.

No comments: