Friday, February 7, 2020

Snow days...

As Maine winters go, this one has not had much snow. So when winter weather is coming, the weather guys get a bit dramatic. It started to come down yesterday morning, but long before the first flake fell customers were cancelling. I told Rachel to stay home. I only groomed three dogs all day, well, 4 if you include Flirt, who was overdue. It was strange working alone, I'm out of practice. The storm didn't amount to much, but by this morning ice was hissing on the windows. I spent a while re-arranging a day full of customers, then had a cup of tea by the incomparable heat of the wood stove. The house was quiet and the free morning like a gift.

After a while I headed outside. The goat and donkey rooms needed cleaning. I put a little hay on the snow to lure them outside.They would all prefer to stay in when it's wet.

I shoveled and scooped as fast as I could, then put down fresh shavings.Let me just say here, I love the smell of clean pine shavings.  I got done in the nick of time, they all trooped in, drippy and looking disgusted. Abraham's former human brought a huge tub of mints the other day, and the goats smelled them, (despite the crinkly plastic wrappers) in my pocket. They nearly mugged me while I struggled to unwrap two for each. Abraham and Sarah love them, too. Jezebel is unsure, but I think she will come around. She is always hesitant to try new treats. At any rate, I think the candy and the fact that the maid had cleaned up the place cheered them all up a bit. 





I left them in their tidy rooms and walked around on the crunchy snow for a while.


 Bravo doesn't mind the cold and stayed right with me.


I had to fill the bird feeder several times. 
The ice came down all day, coating everything. It made it extra cozy to be inside. 
Sometimes snow and ice are nice. 


No comments: