Sunday, January 18, 2009

Snow shoes...




At first when you strap on snow shoes, it feels like wearing big, funny clown feet. Today Chris and I spent an hour and a half out exploring winter. We both fell down once, and got back up, and laughed and talked and discovered muscles we were not real familiar with. We clambered up and down, trudged into the woods and down a stream bed. The woods were nearly silent, but if I listened carefully I could hear the faintest hissing sound of snow hitting the trees. We startled a turkey, which winged off, skimming the tree tops. It has been snowing since dawn, with no sign of stopping, and that suits me fine.


Cozy back at home the wood stove crackles, music plays and the dogs drape themselves artfully on the furniture, snoring softly. Our snowshoes are propped on the deck, waiting for our next excellent adventure.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so jeaulous. Living in Texas now we don't get to experience any REAL snowfall. I miss New England so much.

Unknown said...

We had our first snowshoe yesterday, and I'm a little sore too! While we were out Jeff asked me how I liked the adventure and I replied that it "made my soul soar." He stopped and looked at me puzzled, and asked if I meant sore or soar. Once he understood that I was enjoying the cold adventure we went back to our woodsy tromp. I did a solo 30 min walk today across the frozen marsh at sunset. Pretty AND cold! We're trying to enjoy the snow too. -Emily

Cottagecheap said...

Little jealous, we have had more ice than snow this year and our snow gets abut 2" and then melts