Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Visitors...


Today a huge flock of Bohemian Waxwings was zooming around our yard. They landed, amid a snowstorm, in the Crab apple tree. Skittish birds, every movement or sound makes them go "scree-ing" away, then noisily return. These birds are stunningly beautiful, but it is hard to catch more than a glimpse of them. I stood outside until my fingers were numb with cold, trying to catch a good picture. I got several pretty shots, some with them in mid gulp as they stripped the old fruit off the tree.

When we lived in Memphis a flock like this descended on our Holly tree one day. Four year old Rachel was standing at the window and called to me, "Oh Mommy! The birds are so happy with our tree!" Such a perfect description . I was so happy to have them in my tree today.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

solarity said...

Beautiful!
Thanks to the ice, at least one junco has tried out the feeder.