Sunday, October 18, 2009

Signs of autumn...

There are signs of autumn. Chrysanthemums, ornamental kale, scare crows, pumpkins....
There is frost on the grass and piles of wood to stack. Today I turned on the furnace for the first time of the season. I've been keeping the wood stove burning 24/7 for a few weeks, but it needed to be cleaned out so I let it burn down and allowed the furnace to stretch its legs.

It is bittersweet to hear the furnace rumble in the old stone cellar. I am so grateful for the warmth it quickly sends surging through the rooms of our home... but twisting that thermostat seems like the final nail in summer's coffin. Before I turn that knob, I can lull myself into believing that there will be more warm days coming. Once the furnace starts it seems the cold weather is here to stay.

And yet... and yet... it was sheer luxury to step out of tonight's shower and feel warm air billowing out from the bathroom radiator. My towel had been lying there, so it wrapped me in toasty comfort that was oh so welcome.

And tonight? Snow flakes are dancing in the pool of light cast by the lamp over the door. Perhaps that is a sign for another post. Signs of winter. They are coming soon... to a blog near you!

No comments: