Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Teamwork...


I have a friend that is getting married this weekend. This has me thinking about marriage and teamwork in general.
What I didn't quite realize when I got married was that I would be yoked to another person for almost every decision for the REST OF MY LIFE. From the brand of toothpaste I used to where I lived to how many (if any) children I would have... my thinking would forever more have to weigh in the needs of another. That is what I vowed.
Sometimes that is a real pain in the... neck.
Other times it is sheer bliss. Tonight I came home from running an errand and my husband hopped in my truck and took it off to fill it with gas, because he knew the tank was low. Bliss.
Recently he encouraged our kid to buy a motorcycle. Pain in the neck.
I tend to cry at weddings. I know I will cry this weekend when my friend marries. Partly I cry with happiness that love and tradition are alive in the world. Partly I cry to think about how these two will struggle in the yoke of marriage, learning the rules of teamwork. Team work can be... work. But if it is done right two pulling together can accomplish great things and carry a heavy load, smoothly.
Given the options, I'll take the yoke and the work and share the load of life.

No comments: