Thursday, April 7, 2011

Rainbows and reality...



Today I had to ask a friend if she was safe at home with her partner. I've never asked anyone that question before, and the answer is haunting me. "I think so," she said. "But no one ever really knows."

This makes me realize that I am blinded here, in my little rainbow-tinted world. I forget that some women go home to a place where they don't feel entirely safe with the person they are supposed to be closest to.

So tonight I am feeling rather even more grateful than usual. Because really? I do know.

3 comments:

Rain said...

Daryl, You said so very much in this short little statement. We all know friends like this-whether we chose to admit it and talk to them about it. It is difficult-but so important -and sometimes gives them the opening to start for help-with knowing they have help in us. ~~Rain

Chris said...

This will make me think... we take a lot for granted and assume all is well way too often...

Chris said...

We really don't know what goes on with anybody's life, do we? and yet, so very astute of you to ask. That is what caring friends do. I'll be thinking about this for a while...