Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Things happen for a reason...




Egg production from "the ladies" has slacked off a bit of late. I didn't think too much about it, but on Sunday I found a hidden nest with THIRTY(!) eggs in it. I was appalled. I have been feeding those eggs to the dogs, and a couple of them a day to my beloved crows. I put them in the driveway and yell, (feeling foolish all the while) "HERE CROWS!"

Within moments they arrive, glinting like onyx. First a fly-by. Next they land in the maple, surveying the situation.

If I am still and quiet by the window, they swoop in, and dine. The younger ones pierce the egg shell and daintilly pull out the contents of the eggs. The big ones like this clean up after the "kids," then grab a whole egg in their huge bills and swoop off.

Those wasted eggs?? Totally worth it.

1 comment:

Rain said...

Great! Now I know what to do with the eggs I find-old-but hate to just throw away-but definitely dont want to break open!