Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Spring full of life...

I picked up 4 new Partridge Rock chicks from the man I buy my poultry from. We met at a poultry show at the adorable Windsor Fair grounds. He handed me a small box full of feathers and I handed him $20. I got the better end of the bargain!

At home I put the chicks into a "brooder" I had fixed for them. It is really a large rabbit cage, with a heat lamp on one end, a special water dispenser and a chipped china bowl full of high protein food for baby chickens. They were very quiet the first day, napping under the warm light and looking out at the new view. Since that first day they have become more active; making little "cheep cheep" noises, sparring with each other and running about.

Meanwhile, the new Muscovy hen is laying an egg every morning at 6 AM sharp. We have 7 now and I am hoping she will set on them and hatch some little downy baby ducks. That would be cute overload for sure!

Spring at Fair Winds is full of life.

No comments: