Saturday, June 4, 2011

Thanksgiving in June...





One of my goals this year was to try to raise a few turkeys for Thanksgiving dinner. In fact, I am trying to raise several things for our annual feast... I have planted butternut squash, garlic, onions, potatoes, pumpkins and a variety of herbs.




Ordering turkey's is something that should be planned ahead. I had the best of intentions, but then got sick and was pretty much useless the entire month of May. Today at work I was thinking to myself how dissapointed I was that I had not arranged to have turkey poults to raise. Then, in the afternoon one of my co-workers said, "The feed store I was at this morning has all kinds of baby ducks. Runner ducks, Pekin ducks...." I rudely interrupted her. "I want TURKEYS. DO they have turkeys?" She said, "Yes, they DID have some."


I nearly ran to the phone and called the place. The man said, "Yes, we have 4 left. And we close at 3 PM." It was then 2:20. I was at work. I quickly called my husband. He was on the way home from taking a load of trash to the dump. "Can you take a ride to the feed store in Waldoboro and buy me some turkeys? They close in 40 minutes." He was bemused but drove there- a 30 minute drive. When I got home he handed me a small, chirping box. Inside were 4 poults...all yellow down and big pink feet and dark eyes.




They are currently settled in a large wooden box, with a heat lamp and food and water and a deep bed of clean shavings. They are enchanting, and loud. And very possibly far too cute to eat.

3 comments:

Sean Patrick said...

"And very possibly far too cute to eat"

They won't be for long :)
Chop Chop!

solarity said...

Looking forward to future reports.

My grandmother used to set a hen on turkey eggs, and hand-raise them, because she loved a challenge.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Cheryl and Phil said...

Sean is right: baby turkeys are like baby pigs - freaking adorable BUT when they are eating size, you won't have any problems at all sending them to freezer camp!