Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Ducks and mischief...

Sometimes reading gets me into mischief. Last year I read about how wonderful Muscovy ducks are. Quiet, friendly, easy to raise and delicious to eat.  So I rushed right out and got three of them.  One boy, two girls.
A very short time later I had 24 ducks. They grazed my lawn, decimated the spider population, and added much color and fascination to my life. And they pooped... a LOT.

  I am now back down to the original 3.  The rest went to "freezer camp."  I roasted my first duck last night. 

I read a lot about how to do this before I proceeded, and finally followed a recipe I found in the New York Times.  Salt and pepper the duck, drizzle it with olive oil and bake at 475 for 30. min.  Next, add vegetables to the duck fat (potatoes, celery, onions, garlic and carrots) and roast another 30 min.   It was delicious... and those pan browned potatoes?  The best we ever had. 

I have shrink-wrapped the rest of the flock and nestled them into the freezer.  Now I need to read up on more recipes for duck.   Sometimes reading and mischief are good things!







No comments: