Monday, October 17, 2011

Greetings...

Sometimes I think we underestimate the importance of a good greeting.
When my husband and I were newlyweds living in a tiny, dark apartment in Lynchburg, VA I learned a lesson on this topic.  He worked for a short time for Stanley Steamer Carpet cleaners, an odious job.   His boss lived near us and often gave him a ride home, because we only had one car.  When I would hear them pull up I would race out the door to greet him with great glee. And a kiss.  Mike, his boss, would roll his eyes.  He told Chris, "Enjoy it while it lasts.  It won't last." He looked sad when he said it.  I made a mental note, and now, 27+ years later I still try to greet my love when he comes home. I taught our daughter, when she was small, to run and hug him when he came in, "Daddy is home!" I'd call, and we'd rush to the door for hugs and kisses. We made homecoming a small event. Sometimes when my man comes home, (tonight for example) I am doing something time-sensitive.  Like stirring gravy.  I will at least call out, "HI HONEY!" in a happy voice and pucker up when he comes around the corner. The gravy more than makes up for my lack of greeting him at the door. My guy? He has a thing for gravy.

I have a friend who has been married the same amount of years that we have.  Her husband told her how much a warm greeting when he comes home from work would mean to him.  He works long hours at a job he hates.  My friend refuses to accommodate his request.  "I'm tired, too.  Why should I act like it's a big deal that he comes home?"  Because it is.

My animals know  how to greet.  When I come back to the house... no matter if I have just walked to the mailbox or been gone for days, my dogs greet me with hysterical glee. They make me feel like a celebrity.   My ducks greet one another with an elaborate ritual of head bobbing with accompanying vocalizations.  My lambs call for each other if one is out of sight behind a log pile.  Even my chickens croon to each other as they arrive in the coop at night after a day of ranging the yard.  There are occasional inter-species greetings as well.  Pleasant nose touches and acknowledgements, "I see you here.  You matter.  Hello!"  

I am so happy when people come to visit me.  I greet them with genuine joy. How wonderful that they care enough to come here to spend time with us. And I am daily grateful that my loved ones choose to come back to this meadow hugged home each day.  They have gone to the world and had experiences I cannot share, and then they come back. Safely. And we are together.  If that is not something to celebrate, I don't know what is.





No comments: