Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Shopping in the country...

When we first moved to this rather rural spot from the city of Memphis we found ourselves often stopping in at at the Union True Value Hardware.  It was the closest thing to a store around and had many things we needed as we settled into our new home. 

On my second visit there the owner, Vic, called out, "Hi Daryl!"  I was both surprised and impressed, such a thing would never happen in the city.

 Eight years later I have bought many things there... nuts and bolts, a bright yellow wheel barrow, lip balm, penny candy, cleaning supplies, shower curtain liners and gallons of paint.  I've bought gifts and decorating items, garden tools and plants and shavings for my critters.  And I have grown to care for and appreciate the owners of the place. 

Last weekend my husband and my sister went there to pick something up.  They came home with a moose steak and some ground moose, too, tucked neatly into the TruValue bag.  Vic had generously shared some of the bounty of this years hunt.  That would never happen in the city, either. 

I cooked up the ground moose tonight with some of my special tomato sauce.  Moose spaghetti!  Made all the more delicious because the meat was a gift slipped into the bag from the hardware store.  Shopping in the country has been a surprise from the start.



1 comment:

Rain said...

I love our Maine too!!