Thursday, October 27, 2011

Missed the shot but savored the story...

Layah, one of my original four chickens, has been failing. She was old and has had a rich chicken life filled with good food, sunshine, room to roam and a safe, cozy coop to roost in at night.  During the last week she faded a bit more each day.  She did not appear to be suffering, but was, clearly, dying.  This morning when I went out to let the chickens out of the coop she was still alive, but her time was obviously borrowed. 

Before I went to work I checked on the critters one last time.  The hen was comfortably cradled on shavings, and the bunny was snuggled up to her.  They were cheek to cheek, sitting very close and still beside each other.  I hustled to get my camera, but when I came back the bunny had moved. 

The rabbit, living without any of her own kind, has bonded with the chickens and ducks.  I think she knew her friend was moving on and spent a few moments saying goodbye.  The animals I share my life with constantly amuse and amaze me.  I missed the photo opportunity but the memory is mine to keep. 

2 comments:

Rain said...

Daryl - our animals give us so very much. Our memories are so important! Take care-Rain

Sean Patrick said...

What is the average life span of a chicken?