Monday, March 25, 2013

Impulsiveness...

I have Monday's off. I tend to spend my "off" time doing house chores. I catch up on laundry, vacuuming, mopping and the seeming endless chore of toilet scrubbing. With music playing I move through the work and rather enjoy it all. There are frequent trips out to tend to and visit with the animals. I call the whole thing "puttering." It is rather aimless time with little structure, and since there is really no where in the world I would rather be than right here,it is rare for me to go anywhere on my precious Monday's. Today, however, I needed to borrow a tool from a neighbor and pick up chicken food. On the way back from the feed store I decided to pop into the very sweet little antique store than is just down the street. I come from a long line of antique dealers and meandering around admiring the trash and treasures one finds in stores like this is extremely soul satisfying to me. It was there that I saw this. It is an iron table, woven with white painted wicker. I stopped in my tracks, and felt my pulse pick up a bit. I have a treasured table in my kitchen. It is dark pine with wonderful spool legs, and once belonged to my sweet mother. But this... this wicker table would be perfect there in the sunny heart of my home. I began to examine it. There were four sturdy chairs, which were quite comfortable to sit on. The table was sturdy too, but there was one hole in the wicker and the paint was in sorry shape. "I just pulled that out of a barn in Owl's Head," the shop owner said when he saw my attention was focused intently on the set. He meandered over, pointed to the hole in the top. "If you tie a shoe lace on here and repaint the top, you'd never even notice this. I think it's from the 1960's." I laughed, "So am I!" and before knew it the thing was in the back of my truck. (OH! I love my truck!) I went straight to the hardware store with my load of animal feed and old furniture. There I bought a wee can of white paint, a brush, shoelaces and little rubber feet for the table legs. I could barely contain my joy as I went right to work! In 25 minutes I had the set cleaned, the paint freshened and the hole "fixed." I can hardly stop smiling at this totally impulsive purchase. I will turn my beloved kitchen table into a little desk in the office I am currently creating in the guest room, so it will not be homeless. That kitchen corner was screaming for a healthy dose of white wicker!

No comments: