Sunday, April 28, 2013

Poppy...

Poppy pug will be 14 years old this summer. She came to us as a handful of a puppy, 5 weeks old or so. Her owner wanted to leave her at the busy animal shelter in Memphis, Tennessee. A friend of mine convinced the people who had her to keep her a few more days until she could find a place for her. A pup that young at the shelter would have had slim chance of survival. My friend then convinced me to provide foster care. I had a hard and fast rule to never foster dogs, because I became too attached to them. But a Pug? I would never become attached to such an odd looking little dog. I prefer dogs that are lovely. Poppy came loaded with fleas and a belly full of worms. She was the ugliest puppy I had ever seen. My plan was to nurse her to health and then find her a wonderful home with one of my grooming clients. About a week after she arrived I looked down at her funny little face and heard myself say, "You are SO beautiful." then I thought to myself, "Uh oh." I found her a good home alright. As I type this she is draped across my shoulder, snoring softly. Her eyes are something special. They are lovely and deeply soulful. Her personality is unique; she never meets a stranger, but is not pushy with affection. She is kind to upstart puppies, patient with assertive big dogs. She loves children and tolerates all the animals here at our small farm. Each morning she carefully considers her plan for the day. Some days she is comfy at home and stays right here, (by the fire or in a pool of window framed sun.) Most of the time, however, she insists on riding to work with me. There she picks a soft,comfy spot and snoozes, until lunch time when she goes from person to person, begging for treats. She is rarely refused. Her tail is too straight and her tongue is too long and her love is just too BIG. Pugs were bred to be little companions, affectionate lap dogs. She does her ancestors proud. Poppy is the sweetest little dog I have ever adored. (Marti Stone photography)

2 comments:

solarity said...

Happy future birthday, Poppy!
Happy Pug-day, Daryl!

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Cheryl and Phil said...

I love her too, Daryl. Take good care of her for me (hoping to fly up in Sept. for a short visit).