Saturday, July 6, 2013

Left to my own devices...



Left to my own devices I like to spend a day off right here, at home. Because really, there is no where I like to be more. But luckily, I have my husband. Left to his own devices, he'd be running the road all the time. We balance each other nicely. Yesterday was unusually hot for Maine, and I had a long, LONG to-do list. Weed the gardens, mow the yard, clean the garage... it was endless. Chris had other ideas. Our daughter is visiting (I planned to make the two of them help me with that list!) and Chris pronounced, "It's a perfect beach day." I groaned a little inside...(my list! My LIST!) But I knew he was right, and donned my bathing suit. He sweetened the deal by promising a trip to my favorite local ice cream parlor, where they make the best creamy flavors of summer succulence.

We had planned to go to a different beach, but as we neared the ice cream place I saw a sign for Pemaquid beach and quickly Googled it.(Oh how I LOVE to have a computer in my pocket!) It sounded lovely, and was much closer by than the one we were destined for. We like to try new places, so off we went. Sandy beaches are less common than one might like here on the rocky coast, and this is a small,lovely "cove beach" that boasts sand flecked with something (we have no idea what!) that shimmers like a billion flecks of copper as each wave comes to shore and then recedes with a shower of sparkles.

The breeze off the ocean was cool and refreshing, but after reading and dozing in the sun a while I stood, and strode with great purpose out into that icy Atlantic. The first waves against my sun-baked skin made me gasp, but I kept walking, and dove head first into the salty chill. Bliss.

Soon enough it was time to come home and do chores...there are all those little faces to feed...


shower the salt off our skin and settle in for a peaceful evening. The day at the beach was a gem, destined to glow in my memory. I am glad that I am not always left to my own devices.

(Please note: I learned the hard way that expensive cameras and beaches do not always mix, so beach photos were swiped from Google images.)

No comments: