Thursday, July 25, 2013

New puppy...

For some time now my sweet husband has been saying that we need a dog that will be protective of our property. Our beloved Doberman and Boxer have been gone a while. They were good dogs, but looked a little scary and we felt safe leaving home with them on patrol. Somehow the two poodles and two pugs didn't strike him as having any intimidation factor. As for me, 4 dogs was more than enough, and I had no interest in adding a new, big, high energy dog to the pack. Then a few things happened:
1. Our daughter took one of the pugs to live with her (this is good for the pug, as he loves her best of any human on the planet.)
2. Dazzle the standard poodle has begun to fail. Fast.
3. My friend got a dog I really like. He is a Black Mouth Cur. I like his looks, I like his size, (sturdy but not huge)I like his personality and I like how he acts around her livestock. I also am impressed by how he guards her property.
4. That same friend found me an available puppy. (She asked that I not mention her name, as in previous posts I have accused her of getting me into mischief by encouraging me to add animals to my life. So the name will go unmentioned but SHE KNOWS WHO SHE IS!!!)

So, last night a man came to our house with two Black Mouth Cur puppies. It took about 20 seconds to choose this one. We named her Ziva.

She came to work with me today and was a very good girl. It was only her second time in a vehicle, but she behaved beautifully. At work she greeted people nicely, was polite with the other dogs, and finally, after hours of socializing, laid down to rest a bit.

At home she follows the "big" dogs. Flirt thinks she is a pest. Poppy does not know what to think.

She thinks the goats are very interesting.

They think she is a little scary.

I love the look of her,and she is sleek and lovely to pat. So far she seems to be a very good girl. I am looking forward to training her to be a helpful farm dog, and feel sure we will have many happy years together. So, to my un-named friend... Thank you! We are enjoying our new Ziva dog!


No comments: