Thursday, July 18, 2013

Rainbows end...

This morning an adult Hairy woodpecker brought its chick to our bird feeder and tried to teach it how to feed itself suet and sunflower seeds. The chick looked just like an adult, but was very vocal and fluttery. Mama bird stuffed it's little beak full of suet before they flew off. I tried to catch a photo before they went, but failed. Maybe tomorrow. While out with my camera around my neck I noticed a few other things that called to have their picture taken.


I've never seen a chipmunk on our property in the past 10 years. I moved the bird feeder from the back yard to the side yard this year and now I have several of the little striped cuties running about. They are quite fearless, even dashing into the garage to raid the seed bins. When I was a little girl I was fascinated by chipmunks. I used to pretend I was a chipmunk, and hide in the corner cabinet of the kitchen. My mom would occasionally pop an M&M in my mouth and tell me I was a good little rodent! I like having the little things here now, they make me smile.


The runner ducks continue to grow. They are very pretty, their adult feathers are coming in beautifully, and they are comical to watch as they waddle about, looking for bugs and seeds to eat and dabbling in the pool. Or any water container. They make cute little quacking sounds as an added bonus!

As I cooked supper tonight some dark clouds rolled in from the west, and we were treated to a heavy downpour. It was nice, because the weather has been a little dry. It was still raining when my husband said, "There's a rainbows end in our yard." We often get rainbows here, but this is the first time in my life I have been able to see where one ended. Right.In.Our.Meadow. No need to look for a pot of gold, I know I am surrounded by riches.

1 comment:

Rain said...

Your runner ducks are beautiful ! I'm enjoying my first time in many years of ducks this summer!!