Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Afternoon shots...



Ziva loves tennis balls. Joy on four feet.


Our new Muscovy drake is such a handsome guy. He likes his little kiddie pool.

I am not sure what this flower is. I got it at a nursery this summer and it has been blooming and blooming, even through three pretty hard frosts.

The afternoon light shows off how pretty the Partridge Rock chickens feathers are. They fairly glow.

I found the body of Clara bunny this morning at dawn. It seems she died in her sleep. She looked very peaceful. Daughter Rachel brought Clara home 5 or 6 years ago. I didn't want a bunny, or her big fancy cage, but there she was. She was terribly unhappy living in confinement. She would throw her body at the bars that confined her. One day I couldn't take it any more and let her loose. I thought that even a few days of freedom would be preferable to a lifetime of misery. She lived free for years. In stormy weather she would hang out in the cozy chicken coop. When the windfall apples plopped to the ground she would help herself. We had a sweet routine; each morning she would hop to greet me. I would give her a carrot and a handful of sunflower seeds and scratch grains. Every few weeks I'd catch her and give her a once over to make sure she was OK. She was fine... sleek and fit and ready to be set free again. That rabbit I didn't want brought me a lot of joy. She just looked so happy in her freedom. She made me happy, too. I will miss her, but I am glad I opened her cage that day to let her live a full bunny life.

No comments: