Monday, September 7, 2015

Labor day...

Today dawned clear and fine, and the weather people promised it would be hot. We both had the holiday off. After morning chores were done I ate a local peach, sliced and swimming in fresh goat milk, with a sprinkle of cereal on top. Then I went out and cleaned out the goat room and the pony shed before it got too steamy. Chris joined me and said, "It's a beautiful day. We could take a cruise on the Appledore out of Camden at 10:00." I saw the beauty of the plan, and hurried to shower and get dressed.

We got there in plenty of time.



The boat motored out of the harbor, then they put the sails up and cut the engine. There was silence... except for sound of the winds and waves. The Appledore is a wonderful wooden schooner. The crew was friendly and informative... the day fine and the sky blue. There was plenty of wind to fill the sails.



All around us was the scent of the sea, the sound of the water lapping on the hull, and the wind in the sails. We saw other boats, their passengers enjoying the day...





Or working...




There were sea birds and gentle motion. I realized,again, that all my best times are spent with my husband/best friend/sweetheart. He comes up with plans to uproot me from home and bless me with wonderful new experiences. And today there was salt air and sunshine. It was a delight.



No comments: