Sunday, August 28, 2016

Daily love offerings...

Two years ago, just about this time, I had a brand new business based from home.  We had built a little grooming studio on our porch and things were starting off well.  One morning my husband left for work, then came back inside, and went out into the studio.  I asked what he was doing and he tossed me a sly smile.  "Nothing."

When I went in to start the day I found a perfect orange maple leaf on my grooming table.  It was really too early for maple leaves to be turning, so it was a special treat that my sweet husband found that leaf on the lawn, and took the time to pick it up and bring it inside to delight me.  I let him know how much I liked it.

The next day there was something else on my table.  And the day after that, and after that.  Every. Single. Day.



It might be a chocolate bar, or a bag of wild bird seed. It might be horse treats or a bale of shavings.  Chris calls them "daily love offerings," and takes his gifts seriously. Mascara, face cream, bars of fancy soap.  A sweat shirt that says, "Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy goats, and that is the same thing."  Sun dresses, tee shirts, make up.

"Why do you do this?" I ask.  He looks contemplative and says, "Why does a Catholic leave a token on the alter for the Virgin Mother? Why do Hindu's leave gifts for statues of the goddesses?  I love you so much I want to leave you something every day to remind you that I love you. That I think of you every day. Have this little trinket and know that I am thinking of you.  That is why."

I have told him he should stop, but truth be told I look forward to going out to work every morning to see what his fertile mind has come up with this day.  Puppy toys, training treats, books, magazines. A daily reminder that he loves me. Who could ask for anything more?


No comments: