Thursday, February 9, 2017

Storm...

The forecast is for heavy snow.  If I hadn't heard about it on the news and from customers, I might have known that weather was coming. The birds told me.  Although the first flakes didn't fall until after 10:00 AM, the activity at the bird feeders was a record high.  I filled them several times before noon.

Although some customers cancelled, afraid to be out in the storm, a few intrepid souls came out.  They were all gone before any real accumulation began to pile up.  I bundled up, knit cap, insulated coat and overalls, boots with grippers, and wonderful gloves, with a bonus. For Christmas my sister Deb, and her talented husband, John, gave us the most thoughtful, useful, marvelous gift.  Warm gloves for everyone, and a years supply of glove warmers.  These magical things are called, "Little Hotties." They are all natural, biodegradable, and pet safe. On cold mornings I open a package and slip one into each glove.  All while I do my chores the little packets are heating up. Doing chores my gloves have to come off frequently so I can open latches, deal with hay strings, fill little water bowls and pat critters.  My hands get cold!  Then I jam them back into my gloves where they are met by blissful, comforting, warmth.  The little packets keep their warmth for hours, and when I do evening chores my gloves are pre-heated and cozy.
That galvanized tub on the left is decorated with super cute farm stickers and filled with hand warmers. A WEALTH of them.  And that wooden rack that is tucked up by the stove? Made by John. Wet gloves and hats go on the sturdy spindles and are dry in no time.  They even put our names on the rack, with whimsical lettering and words like "mittens," "gloves," "hats."  The whole thing is just so darn handy and helpful.
 Ready to face the Nor'easter, Bravo and I went out to check on the animals.  I gave the ducks fresh food and water, and checked to make sure the chickens had plenty of both. They returned the favor with 5 fresh eggs.

Chris helped me and we carried an entire bale of hay out to the horse, donkey and goats.
The snow is coming down at a rapid clip, and a bitter wind is gusting. The thermometer says it is 19 degrees, but the air felt much colder anywhere it was able to touch my skin. .

Inside the goat cozy the girls are working away at the overstuffed hay rack, happily.  When there is hay that they particularly like they make contented little "Mmm, Mmmmm," sounds when they eat. We have some second cut hay from Canada that evokes these happy noises.  Chris mutters, "Our animals are so spoiled they won't even eat local hay."  He is not quite right. They will eat it, but they much prefer the imported stuff.

We gave the rabbits fresh water, piles of hay to snuggle in and snack on, and full food dishes.  Everyone should be set to weather the storm.

Once the stock were checked and fed and tucked in, I took Bravo for a little walk.  There is not a lot of traffic here anyway, and on days like this passing cars are few and far between. So I let him loose and off he went.

He loves the snow.

Truth be told, I do, too. There is something so cozy about coming indoors after animal care and a walk. The fire snaps in the stove and the air inside is warm and still.  Cuddled up under a blanket I hear the wind whistle around the windows and settle with a contented sigh.  The dogs echo my deep breath and push against me in slumber.  Storm days are good days.  


1 comment:

solarity said...

Ever since I first had a wood stove, I've kept one of those folding drying racks near it. I dry a lot of laundry on it, but it also dries gloves and hats and scarves very well.

Not a bit jealous of your snow!

Mary Anne in Kentucky