Saturday, December 22, 2018

Donkeys and such...

Sarah donkey has a sore hoof. Her doctor has instructed that I soak it for 40 minutes, 3 times a week. Rachel has mastered the art of putting the soaking boot on so it stays. When I put it on, Sarah is able to shake it off in about 30 seconds.  Last week we had a fine, warm, morning and I tried my best to put that boot on snugly. I could tell it wasn't going to stay though, so adjusted it and resigned myself to sitting outside and keeping her still while she soaked. I upended a muck bucket, and grabbed a brush, then sat there, holding on to Sarah's lead rope while she soaked. She was happy for the company and stood very still. I brushed her dear face, her funny little mane, and down her broad back. I brushed her tail and her curvy hips and down her legs. I cleaned her hooves and then brushed her round belly and sturdy chest. She liked all of it, and before I knew it, had rested her head in my lap! Her eyes were shut and there she stayed, for long, lovely, minutes. Meanwhile, Abraham stood nearby, and I brushed him, too.  When I took a break, he moved behind me, and rested his chin on my shoulder.

And there I was. Being actively snuggled by donkeys. It was a very special time.

In the mail yesterday I received a little envelope from the woman who gave Sarah to me. I was delighted when I opened it up.

A little, red, needle-felted donkey. She is now hanging on our Christmas tree. I love the little smile on her face, and the sparkle in her eye. 

My customers enjoy the donkeys, too. Some even bring them gifts. 

We had a pretty little snow storm last week. My neighbor snapped this picture of the back of our house on her way to work. 


And I captured this shot of our arbor while I was shoveling. 


I have had a lovely Christmas season. I've been enjoying listening to my favorite music, baking cookies, and grooming many, many dogs and cats during these busy weeks. I'll be sad when it's over, but am excited to see what joys the New Year has in store. 




No comments: