Friday, December 14, 2018

Flirt and festoons...

Nine years ago a random messaging conversation with a friend suddenly had me agreeing to buy a puppy.  A toy poodle puppy, to be exact.  I have a list of breeds of dogs I'd love to live with before I die, and toy poodle was never on that list. Yet, I had an overwhelming feeling that this little girl was meant to be mine.

 I picked her up in Georgia at a grooming trade show. To be brutally honest, it wasn't love at first sight. She was kind of homely as a baby. Her coat was wispy, her body long and legs short. Her ears were set rather high on her head. She weighed 2.5 pounds and soon let me know that though her body was wee, her spirit was huge. We named her Flirt, and it was a name well chosen. This girl never meets a human that she does not love.  And she pretty much demands that they love her in return. From infants to elders, she simply adores people. Happiest when she is with me, if I am not available, other folks will do. She has certain special humans that she adores beyond measure, (JCA!) but in general, she is just a people "person." She is a happy, sweet girl, and a most excellent snuggle buddy.

This week we celebrated her ninth birthday. Other than the fact that she is not shy about leaving the occasional "poodle bomb" on the floor of the laundry room, and that her voice is akin to the tone of a smoke detector, she is a grand companion. I love her beyond reason, and am so glad she is mine.

On a different note...

I would like to be the sort of person who is crafty, but really, I'm not.  Still, every once in a while I pull off a little project I am pleased with.  As I was taking down the last of the autumn decorations and beginning to replace them with Christmas things, I decided it would be a shame to throw away all the pretty dried hydrangea blossoms I had gathered.  A wee spark of "crafty" glimmered. I fanned it into a flame and off I went.

I carried them out to the garage, and a few at a time, I put them in a big, cardboard box. I had picked up a can of copper spray paint, and away I went, gilding each cluster with coppery highlights.

I let them dry overnight, and the next day went for a walk with my hedge clippers, and pruned a few trees. Then I got out my very fun vintage looking lights. They are shaped like pinecones, and have a warm glow.


With a little time I festooned three horizontal surfaces in the front room and living room.
On top of the tall television cabinet I changed things up a little. I have a short strand of little electric candles that flicker sweetly. I clipped each candle on to a sturdy branch and stood back, well pleased. 
Meanwhile, the Christmas tree was bought and decorated.

There are certain ornaments that I am delighted to greet every year, like old, special, friends. 
 The fabric heart I made in high school.

 The "first married Christmas" ornament,(interestingly enough, given to my by the grandmother of my first boyfriend.)

And of course, "baby's first Christmas," (a special gift from my thoughtful sister Deb.)  Each helps me to remember special times in years past.

As I was decorating, James Taylor sang to me. There was one song that I have heard a thousand times or more, but on that day I really listened. The song was "Secret o' Life." The lyric that resonated was, "The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." And that is just it. From 3,285 days with a small dog by my side, to cutting greens and repurposing flowers I filched from a huge bush at the local cemetery, to loving every moment of decorating for Christmas, it's all about enjoying the passage of time. There are plenty of things I'm not good at, but I think I have enjoyment part down pat.

No comments: