Sunday, December 30, 2018

Years end...

Christmas eve found us with 9 around our festive table. There were appetizers,  and a rather magnificent rib roast, cooked with an obscene amount of garlic, a dozen bay leaves, and a couple cups of good red wine. We also made some creamy mashed potatoes, and Rachel and Evans brought a lovely salad and warm gingerbread with whipped cream for dessert. I think it is safe to say no one went home hungry.
Christmas morning, there were goodie-filled stockings for "the kids," and a squishy new bed, piles of squeaky toys and some special treats for the dogs.


After an exceptional breakfast, we opened gifts. Each carefully and thoughtfully chosen to delight its recipient.  Love in bright ribbons and bows. Chris got a long-wished for Panama hat.

I was given some amazing vintage items.


And Evans was a good sport about his funny shirt.

The livestock had sliced apples and carrots, along with other delicacies 


After the holidays Chris and I made a trip south to my sister and brother-in-law's house. The same house my dad built before I was born, and where I had the good fortune to grow up. It was beautifully decorated and bunches of loved ones came to share supper with us. I got to hold my sleeping 3 year old great niece in my arms for a precious time, and couldn't help but think how pleased my parents would be to know that we were still gathering and celebrating special occasions inside those dear walls.

 I went to visit them, too. 

My sister, niece and I had a sweet trip to a place I used to love as a child, Putnam Pantry. It features a make your own sundae bar, with the most delicious toppings.  One room still has the original pink tiled tables, and soda fountain chairs. The wall paper is even the same. Entering the door my senses were immersed in the things that memories are made of. The sight, the sound and especially the smell. I remembered sticky birthday parties, trips with my siblings, or just with my mom, a few dates with my first love. It was all delicious.

Farewell 2018. Despite some bumps along the way, you were delectable. 

No comments: