Sunday, December 9, 2018

Simple things...

Sometimes it is the most simple things that bring me the most pleasure. Here is an example. Our large animal housing consists of a shed with two rooms. The first, original, room was for the horse. When I added more goats than I had intended, we built a small addition off the back for them. It has a doorway, which we screwed a bar across to keep the horse out. The room is fairly narrow, and I was afraid she'd lie down in there and get stuck. The goats, (and I) could duck under the bar and all was well. Abraham donkey could also go under the bar, but mostly hung out with the horse in the larger area. When the horse died and we added another donkey, we lowered the bar by a significant amount, and made it so I could slide it in and out of metal brackets. It didn't slide easily, and we soon learned it didn't keep the donkeys out, either. I had trouble getting the bar out the brackets, but they did not.  I really wanted a space just for the goats, so I could give them their special minerals and such, and not worry about the donkeys eating all their food. Another problem I was having was that the wooden floor of the chicken coop was getting mushy. The coop is elevated, and I was afraid that one day I'd put my foot through the floor and cause myself serious harm.

My neighbor/friend mentioned that her carpenter husband was between regular jobs. I asked if he'd be interested in helping us create a donkey deterrent gate, and replacing my coop floor. These are really handy man jobs, and he is an artist with wood, but he kindly agreed help me out.  A few days later he appeared, and disappeared into the donkey dorm/goat cozy. I was working, but was dying of curiosity to see what he'd come up with.  Next I saw him cutting and carrying sheets of plywood from the driveway to the coop.  In a few hours he was done and gone, and I was working as fast as I could so I could go check out his handiwork. To my delight, the coop floor was solidly replaced with nice, sturdy plywood. Safe for the birds and me. I don't know about them, but I was relieved. And then, I toddled out to the shed. What to my wondering eyes should appear?
The most elegant little gate. Big, sturdy hinges make it swing easily. On the right is a metal bracket he made by cutting up one of the ones we were using. He mounted it in such a way that I can easily swing it up, even if I am wearing bulky gloves. I can then go in to feed or clean up. But the donkeys are evicted, permanently. The goats scoot right through, and come and go as they wish. I am delighted by this gate, it has made my life so much easier.

Meanwhile, Sarah donkey is still lame. The farrier was out and he thinks that instead of an abscess, she is experiencing pain from something called "white line disease." It is a fungal and/or bacterial infection of part of the hoof, and quite common in donkeys.  She had it when she came to live here, and despite regular trimming it has gotten worse. We ordered some special medication to soak her hoof in. We are supposed to soak it for 40 minutes 3 times a week.  This seemed daunting, but my hero husband, problem solver par excellence, bought me something marvelous.


It's a heavy rubber tube, with an absorbent pad that can be inserted in the bottom. Invented for just this reason, but I had no idea they even existed. I simply mix up the soak, place Sarah's little hoof in, and cinch the boot up snugly. She was less than amused by our first efforts, but I think things will go more smoothly in the future. I let her stomp around for the allotted time, then take the boot off and clean it up.  SO much easier than other methods I was using.

Meanwhile, I am giving her pain medication, and she seems to be more comfortable.
Chris caught this sweet shot of the two friends dozing in the sun on a bed of cast off hay.


Sturdy gates, soaking boots, happy animals enjoying rest. It's the simple things that bring me joy.

No comments: