Monday, June 24, 2019

Bonding...

Experts will tell you that donkeys are extremely intelligent and that they bond deeply with their human.
Jingles previous owner told me that one day her ram knocked her down, injuring her. She was on the ground, and saw the ram "bunching up," ready to butt her again.  If you never been butted by a sheep or goat, please know, it is serious stuff. Some of these animals weigh close to 200 pounds, and they are muscular and fast. Getting butted hurts, and can cause serious injury. Jingles intervened, blocking her human from the ram until she could get up and out of the area.

This donkey has not been here for even 24 hours yet, but she is beginning to bond to me already.When I go out in the pasture she comes right up for attention. This morning I spent a long time brushing her. Donkeys shed their heavy winter coat around this time of year, and they enjoy it when I brush, curry and comb them to help the process along. After our beauty session I invited Bravo into the pasture. I don't know if Jingles has had previous dog experience, but she has been watching Bravo closely and with interest through the fence. 
Donkeys do not like dogs. Sarah and Abraham know my dogs, and mostly co-exist in peace, but I don't really trust them. I watched Jingles carefully when Bravo loped through the gate. She moved away from him, watchful, towards the donkey dorm. I threw his tennis ball, and he tore across the lush grass, then raced back to me. Jingles backed away even more. I threw the ball again, and took my eyes off the donkey as I admired my handsome dog, racing in the early light. He headed back towards me, full tilt, ball in mouth. And from no where, Jingles raced in, placing herself very close to me, blocking me from this obviously scary, threatening, dog. When I got over my surprise, I was quite touched. Clearly she has already decided that I am a human she needs to watch over. I think a lovely friendship is beginning.



No comments: