Sunday, June 23, 2019

Jingles all the way...

A few months ago a favorite customer/friend said, "I know someone who is placing all of her livestock, and she has a really nice donkey. You should get her."  For several long moments I thought this sounded like a great idea. I even called the lady and talked to her about the donkey. A female, (jenny) named Jingles, the same age as Sarah and Abraham. She had been a companion/guardian to the ladies goats for all of her life. But really, I didn't need another donkey, so I talked myself right out of bringing her home. However, my neighbor/friend was looking to add one to her farm, so I gave her the information.  She went and met Jingles, and liked her a lot. An arrangement was made for her to bring Jingles to her farm after kidding season was over and Jingles was done doing her job. I have to admit, I had a pang or two, wishing I had agreed to bring Jingles to our place. A few months went by, and the owner of the donkey called me, "I am ready for Jingles to go to her new home but I lost your friends phone number."  I assured her that I would tell my neighbor to call her, and I did. But meanwhile, my neighbor had taken in two intact Jack (uncastrated male) donkeys, so bringing a female home would be difficult.  She suggested that maybe Jingles would be happy at my place. I was curious about her, so I invited Marion to go with me to meet her. She quipped, "That's a horrible idea. What time?" Two weeks ago we drove about an hour from home and found the farm where Jingles lived, and we all met. 


She was cute as could be, but I have to admit, it was not love at first sight. I liked her, but didn't feel like I just had to bring her home. I told her owner I'd sleep on it and let her know the next morning. And I did. I couldn't help but think that Jingles would be awfully happy here, playing with other donkeys. And I really liked the look in her eye, she appeared to be very wise.  So I called her owner and said I'd like to have her live here. Two nice friends with trucks and horse trailers offered to help me get her here, and today was the day. Patient Marion was the "winner" of the offers to transport. Today was a beautiful day, we set off around 2:00 this afternoon, and enjoyed a lovely drive. We arrived on schedule.  Jingles owner was concerned that we would have difficulty getting her on the trailer, but in fact, she got on with little effort. And off we went, bringing Jingles home.


She rode nicely, and I was so excited to get her out and introduce her to everyone.

Marion led her off the trailer, and up the driveway. Then  she  took her into the back yard. The goats, and both donkeys ran to the gate with great excitement when they saw her.


Jingles brayed a long, loud, bray. Abraham answered. Marion laughed.

We let everyone say hello through the fence for a few minutes. I locked the goats up in their cozy, so the donkeys could have a little privacy to meet.

And to my delight, things went very smoothly. No kicking, no bucking. A little trotting and sniffing, but it was all quite peaceful. 

After a while I let the goats out, and Jingles perked up considerably. These were animals she was  used to being with.

The goats took an instant shine to her, and they all hung out for a while. 

Jingles checked out the toys. Explored the water tub, the grass, tried to see the donkey dorm but was driven out by Sarah. Hopefully they will soon let her share its shelter. As dusk settled, I kept peeking outside. All three donkeys are grazing in a loose bunch. Jingles explored the dorm when the other two were not looking. There has been no kicking, no biting. A little animated trotting, but mostly a very peaceful meeting of the three little mini donks. Chris, Marion and I sat outside and shared a glass of wine, watching the animals. Then the neighbor that originally planned to take Jingles popped in to see her. We all admired her pretty face and intelligent eyes. We watched the three equines interact, and smiled.  This first afternoon looks very promising. It is a happiness to see three chubby donkeys interact.

I went out a while ago, and Jingles came right up to me to get a pat. She accepted a treat,  then went off to examine her new digs in more detail. Now it is dark, but peaceful in the pasture; I am hoping that the donkeys will bond over the next few days, and will all be fast friends. I know I certainly like seeing three long-eared equines poking around the pasture.

No comments: