Saturday, June 1, 2019

Foundations...


Today Chris drove me home to Boxford, so we could attend a memorial service for my uncle, Bob Manning.  He was the last relative of my parents generation to pass, the end of an era. The service was held at the First Congregational Church, where I attended as a child. It has been many years since I was there... it was smaller inside than I remembered, but it smelled the same, and the light slanted in through the tall windows in a familiar fashion. My sister whispered, "This was Barbie's pew," (Barbie is what we called our paternal grandmother) as she settled in. "She liked to be in the back." Here was a nugget of family history I had not known. It made me smile. I sat next to my brother, one of my favorite people in the world, and that made me happy. Before the service he made me laugh and our big sister shushed us. That made me laugh again. Three gray headed siblings, and the oldest still helping us mind our manners.


Uncle Bob's children, and some grand children were there. Several of them stood to read bible verses. One of his nephews did, as well, and then his niece, Leslie, who shared memories, some of her own and others which she had collected from family. Uncle Bob was rather brilliant, and had been awarded multiple patents. He was soft spoken and kind, devoted to his family. Leslie made us smile and chuckle and mist up, remembering. It was good. I saw cousins I have not seen in many years, and realistically, may never see again. That was a bit of a sad thought, but it was nice to see them with their growing families, and remember a time when we were all closer. 

Later in day I saw something interesting.


A flowering pear tree, it's original trunk severed jaggedly, probably by some winter storm. But there, around the ruined edge, were a thick cluster of slim, new branches, covered in bright, young leaves and fragrant blossoms. It made me think of our family, the original growth now gone, but roots spread deep in the New England soil, and new life sprouting up all around it. 

No comments: