Sunday, June 9, 2019

Happy news and summer...

Our farrier was here the other day. It was raining, so we walked out to the donkey dorm and he trimmed Abrahams feet over the clean, fresh shavings. He said his feet looked fine.  He began to work on Sarah, and I had to run inside to take a batch of brownies out of the oven. When I came back he stood up, gave me a long look and said, "Her feet... look..." I held my breath. We've been working on her poor hooves since last fall. I've been fretting and worrying. We have added vitamin and mineral supplements. We have added oral medications. We have been putting medication on her feet, then sliding them into socks and putting on little protective boots. I have worried that her pathetic feet might do her in. To me they looked better, but I don't know much about donkey feet. I have been waiting anxiously to hear what the farrier thought. He took a breath.  "Incredible." If I were a more agile person, I'd have broken into a happy dance right there. There are still a few small spots of infection, but mostly her feet look quite healthy. I am overjoyed. We will continue to work on her, but I think we are in the clear.

 
Last weekend Rachel, Evans and I went to the Fiber Frolic. It's a wonderful festival not far from here, featuring booth after booth filled with beautiful dyed yarn, crafts, whimsical items of all kinds. There are food trucks with local ice cream, wood fired pizza, delicious little hand crafted ravioli that are like pockets full of heaven. There are Alpaca and Angora rabbits, and colorful folk of all kind. It's a feast for the senses.
Here at home the chickens are delighted with  the fine weather. They range far and wide, scratching in the dirt, eating bugs, wallowing in the dirt. They radiate happiness.




The ducks are happy about the broiler chicks being nearby, because it means there is a steady supply of food. Everyone shares. The broilers go to freezer camp in a few days. They are huge and ungainly, but look content waddling about in the grass.

One of my laying hens likes to deposit her eggs in the goat cozy. Sometimes she stops to warm her feet on the back of a friendly goat first. The kids find this amusing and give her a good sniff.

It has been a busy week, with delightful company visiting, lots of grooming for me and extra busy work for Chris. Today we laid low, it was just what I needed. I wrote an article this morning,  he puttered about. Later we went to the feed store to make sure the animals had all their needs taken care of for the coming week, then we drove to Rockland and had a bite of lunch overlooking the water. A trip to the garden store found us a climbing rose, a few pepper plants, some herbs and squash plants. After that, home to check on the animals, exercise the dogs and tuck in for a peaceful nap. A beautiful warm breeze blew in through the open windows. I finished a book, dozed a bit, day dreamed and rested. It was a happy time.

 And for supper ?

The first lobster of the season, at our old, scarred, picnic table. A low fire burned in the pit, and I got so covered up in seafood and butter I had to come inside and take a shower. It was wonderful, every bit of it. Fine weather, healthy hooves and lobster. Life is good.

No comments: