Thursday, October 30, 2008

Old and new

I have a magnetic fascination for old buildings. We found this barn, one stiff breeze away from being a pile of old lumber, on Monhegan Island. Inside, rusted chains as big around as my wrist swung from the rafters. I would love to know what this barn has been used for over the years. Did it house cattle, horses, chickens? All of the above? The shiny new wheelbarrow leaning against it was delightfully incongruous. It looks as if it is ready to receive a load of manure... yet it has obviously been years since this structure housed more than mice and spiders. And maybe some bats.

The dirt road, in case you are curious, led past pastel cottages to the rocky shore.


1 comment:

solarity said...

That looks so much like the "cow shed" where my parents parked the car at our first house, and then, as it leaned more and more, they didn't. Not long before we moved to the new house it finished falling down.

Chez inspired me to blog about my move, so here I am. Stony says hi.

Mary Anne in Kentucky