Thursday, December 11, 2008

Birthday breakfast....


Twenty five years ago, I had breakfast with Chris at a restaurant. We were newly dating, just getting to know one another. He was from the south. I was from the north. I ordered pancakes and maple syrup. He ordered this weird thing. Sausage, biscuits and gravy. The waitress brought him a white plate covered in white food. White biscuits, white gravy, probably some white grits, too... it was disgusting looking. At that moment I thought, "He is nice and all, but I am NOT spending the rest of my life with a man that eats food that looks like wallpaper paste!
Fast foreword a quarter of a century. Chris turned 50 today and I made him his favorite breakfast. Sausage, biscuits and gravy, (no grits, thankyouverymuch!) It is now one of my favorite breakfasts, too. Our kid agrees.., it is delicious! The cholesterol police are not amused and the American Heart Association is appalled, but this is a yummy meal and worth the health risks! I make it twice a year, Chris' birthday and Fathers day. It is a treat. Funny how our perceptions change with time. And funny to think I nearly missed out on marrying my soul mate because he ate weird food.
Happy Birthday, Chris! I am so glad your parents made you. You have filled my life with joy. You are a treat!

2 comments:

D'Gaye said...

Have I told you Daryl that you are one terrific human being? It is so very obvious that you don't just love Chris. You like him and adore him. I like it when I can see that so clearly from a person.

solarity said...

Try biscuits and syrup. (It should be cane syrup but I have no idea how to get hold of any nowadays.) When I was living in North Carolina I would stop for breakfast at the Shoney's breakfast bar in Asheboro on my way back to Kentucky, and one time I was putting syrup (next to the pancakes) on my biscuit from the other side of the buffet, and the lady behind me in line said "What a good idea! I haven't had syrup and biscuits in ages!" She was maybe ten years older than I am, about old enough to remember when biscuits and syrup began to disappear as a daily thing.
(Can you tell the picture made me hungry???)