Friday, December 19, 2008

Still life...


For the past 3 years I have had this attraction to seeking, finding and collecting bird nests once the cold winds blow in and the birds are done with them. I have several like this, arranged in the windows on my long porch. I am pretty sure this little nest was made by Goldfinches. It was found in a stand of Sycamore's across from my house. I wasn't sure what my rather sudden desire to collect these nests was all about until it hit me. Empty nests. My kid is almost 20, gone more often than she is home. My nest is, for all intents and purposes, empty.
I wonder if mother birds miss the echos of their chirping chicks once they take flight? Or do they take delight in watching their fledglings soar off on pretty wings? Or... are they capable of mixed emotions?

No comments: