Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mount Stepmore...


When we were looking to buy this house, there were a couple of glaring problems. One was the roof, old and shoddy. Another was the front steps...they were a home-made concrete monstrosity, crumbling and Ugly with a capital U. They were also HUGE, steep and just awkward. We had the roof fixed, but the steps have continued to vex me. On Mother's day, Chris and I took a sledgehammer to them, and made a wee dent. They were made with concrete, old brick, and lots of steel rods. I had to grin... my dad used to build things with concrete, and I could almost hear him saying, "I pity the guy who tries to take THESE down." These steps could have been built by my dad.
Chris rented a demolition hammer and spent several hours after work smashing away at the ugly old steps. I stood on the sidelines and cheered. (Chris said, "As a guy, it is rare to have a woman be happy when we DESTROY things." HA!)
Today, to celebrate the almost-gone steps, I painted the doors to the house and garage moss green, instead of the Caribbean blue they have been the past two years. Chris hated the blue, and the neighbors were prone to commenting on it in an unfavorable tone. I liked it , but also am fond of the new, soft new green. And I will love the new steps we are having installed, too.

No comments: