Friday, May 15, 2009

Particular joy...

http://www.400eleven.com/graphics/bestofpage/frog_small.jpg

One of the earliest signs of spring here in Maine is the song of the Spring Peeper frog. These wee creatures boast very loud voices. They congregate in boggy areas and fill the night air with their mating songs. My mother taught me how to listen for the peepers when I was a little girl, and I still feel a thrill when they crank up the orchestra on chilly spring nights. Sometimes they sing so loudly they wake me. I listen drowsily until the happy sound lulls me back to sleep. Spring peepers... a particular joy.

1 comment:

solarity said...

One of the things I'll miss here at the new house is being next to an old water-filled quarry. Lots of wet rocks=happy frogs. I heard plenty of spring peepers this spring, but at the old house it was like surround sound.

Mary Anne in Kentucky