Sunday, January 10, 2010

Contentment...



The word "contentment" keeps rattling around in my brain. I find that these winter New England days lend themselves to feeling contented. There are the winter foods; soups and stews and hearty casseroles. There is the comfort of the heat that radiates from the wood stove, and the beauty of the flames of candles that I light everywhere to illuminate the long, dark evenings. And then there is the comfort of snuggling up under a warm blanket to read a good book or watch a movie. It all adds up to a deep, delicious kind of contentment.

So, while the thermometer hangs in the single digits and the places I walk are slick with ice, I sometimes think with longing of walking on a warm beach and watching the pelicans splash. But mostly I am content to be right here, right now. And that is such a gift.

No comments: