Saturday, July 17, 2010

Day in the life...

The broiler chicks are 6 weeks old and huge. They are fun to watch as they waddle around the yard, catching bugs and eating grass and sipping delicately from a variety of water bowls.
The two Silver Laced Wyadotte chicks are growing (more slowly than the broilers, but steady!) and they do so love a sun bath.

And here is the guy that mows my lawn. He is particularly good at edging. And eating rose bushes. >sigh<
I took my horse out for a little ride today... the deer flies nearly carried us away.
We cut our ride rather short and I came home and ate lobster for supper. Never a bad thing!
There is a lobsterman who sells 1 1/3 lb. lobsters out of a truck near my house on Saturdays. They are only $5. each. I have vowed to eat lobster every Saturday night for the rest of the summer. We eat "in the rough." This means we sit at the picnic table in the back yard and cook the lobsters on a propane "King Cooker." We crack them and dunk the meat in butter which drips down our arms as we eat with our fingers. The dogs, rabbit, sheep and chickens mill about the yard. The candle on the table flickers and the wild birds dart about. As the evening deepens bats dip low across the night sky and mosquitos come out in flocks, driving us indoors.
I contemplate, as I sit coated in butter on the cedar plank of the hand hewn table, about the richness of my life.


No comments: