Thursday, July 8, 2010

Impossible blue...

Even my good good camera cannot capture it... but the delphiniums are blooming--- impossibly blue.
Meanwhile the garden in general is riotous. My first attempt at growing broccoli is a huge success, and the lettuce has been delightful. The flower beds are all all rich in color... but this delphinium is perhaps my favorite.

I cannot look at it without thinking fondly of being 6, and lying belly down on the hardwood floor by the fireplace in my bedroom, reading AAMilne in hardcover. http://www.glirarium.org/bilch/literatur/doctor.html My ribs would ache from the pressure of the floor but I would remain there and read. This poem perplexed me... I did not know the blue of delphiniums, but I did appreciate the name and the idea of them.

And now they grow by the door, tall and luscious and a blue that makes my heart beat a little faster. Like a Dormouse.

1 comment:

solarity said...

That must be where my broccoli went--up north where it's cool enough for broccoli.

Mary Anne in Kentucky