Saturday, October 2, 2010

Date night...


My husband and I have been married for 26 years. This week I told him I was in need of a "date night." Time with him, alone and special. Per his usual pattern he jumped right on the suggestion with enthusiasm, and checked out dining establishments for a romantic place we have not yet discovered. We set the "date" for tonight.
I worked today. I ended up working late. Then I had to take our daughter somewhere... and I didn't end up getting home until after 7 pm. As I drove through the dark to our home I was thinking that it was late, and I was tired, and that I really, really wished I had never suggested a date. What I wanted most of all was to be home in our cozy house for the evening. But I made up my mind that I would settle the pets and put on my best new outfit and out we'd go, and we'd have a wonderful time.
When I turned the corner and saw the lights of home lit up I felt a pang of longing. Longing to put on my comfy clothes and be there. There... in that little warm house full of comfort and love.
When I opened the door of my truck and began lifting dogs (some go to work with me) out, I smelled three things: cool, crisp autumn air, woodsmoke and DINNER COOKING. I was elated. When I entered the house I saw flames dancing in the wood stove, and my husband cooking. THAT is the sort of sight that is priceless. And JOYFUL.
Moments later I was in my most comfy clothes and had a glass of red wine in my hand. Shortly after that our "date" began. We dined on garlic stuffed steak and stir fried pea pods, in the comfort of our cozy home.
I asked my husband, "How did you know what I really wanted?" He answered simply and with a wry grin, "How many years have we been married?" 26 years. He knows me well.

No comments: