Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chicks and leaf peeping and a supper suprise...

Today I brought home four new Partridge Rock pullets. They have the most beautiful feathers. I am going to slowly introduce them to the flock. They were raised in a cage, and when I let them out in the coop they were quite fascinated. Note the two gaping out the window. I can hardly wait until they see the big world outside, filled with bugs and grass and dirt and dust baths. They will lose thier little chicken minds!
When I woke up this morning I thought: we should mow the yard and clean the garage and scrub the toilets and do some laundry and wash the windows and scrub the floors and NOT go look at leaves, we can do that another time. Then I remembered that the foliage does not wait like chores do. So we went leaf peeping up north. Up close the leaves glow as if lit from within, yellow and orange and flaming red. From a distance the hills look like some retro '60's shag carpet in shades of russett.


We didn't see any moose this time, but there were SIGNS of their presence. >grin<
Scenic vistas appeared around every corner. The sun was bright the air was crisp and the music on the iPod was excellent. The company was pretty nice too.



When we got home our friend Meg was visiting daughter Rachel. And the house smelled of an exotic blend of spices. The girls were cooking Indian food! Chicken curry, samosas and chapati. Here is Rachel, flipping a chapati (flat bread) with great skill.




The table was set, the candles lit, the food cooked. It was beyond delicious... not just the food but the fact that the dinner was prepared and I didn't do it. The fact that when I came home my house was full of life and laughter and flavor. Just as the day was filled with color and wonder, (and new chickens!)





No comments: