Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Horse Camping...

Along with 4 other women and their horses, my sweet Halflinger mare Chanel and I went camping at the beautiful Wildwood stables located at Acadia National Park. There were all the good things about camping... including food cooked outside in the crisp air. Something about camping food tastes better than any other sort of food there is.

We slept in friend Liz' fabulous horse trailer. With a feather bed mattress and sleeping bags and a thick down comforter we were more snug and comfortable than we could have imagined. The campground was endlessly silent at night, and so dark that when I opened my eyes I could not see any more than I could when they were shut. It was peaceful and warm offered delicious rest.


Each day we rode the carriage trails for miles. Chanel was wonderful, totally unfazed by people whizzing by on bicycles, pedestrians, barking dogs and horse drawn carriages. She had to trot much of the time to keep up with the longer legged horses we were with, (a Tennessee Walking horse, an Arabian/Saddlebred, a Dutch Warmblood and a sweet, green Quarterhorse.) When the other horses were a bit cautious about proceeding over or under a bridge, or past some "scary" thing, Chanel continued on calmly, leading the herd. She even cantered a bit, something she rarely wants to do. I shrieked with glee, unabashed!
In the barn she seemed to relish time together, searching my pockets for peppermints, apples or carrot chunks and standing quietly while I brushed her and petted her and drank in the sweet smells of hay, pine shavings and HORSE. (I wish I could bottle the smell of horse!)



My favorite ride was up Day Mountain. We were treated to the sight of New England fall foliage at its peak, and the endless blue sea and sky spread below us.





The entire weekend I had the thought, "I am SO lucky" echoing over and over in my mind. Surrounded by epic beauty, the companionship of good humans and wonderful equines, I was exquisitely aware of my blessings.




2 comments:

Sean Patrick said...

"We slept in friend Liz' fabulous horse trailer. With a feather bed mattress and sleeping bags and a thick down comforter we were more snug and comfortable than we could have imagined."

Sheesh Dary, thats not "camping". To be "camping' you need to be (at least 2 of the following) cold, wet, hot, miserable, bug bitten with a sharp rock poking you in a tender part of your body all night.
;)

Daryl said...

If it makes you feel any better, Sean, the two other women we were with froze their noogies off!