Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Raising lambs...

The lambs were curious about the dogs. Pushing them about with their heads... fearless.

The lambs came to live here in early spring. I brought them from a dark, crowded barn. All summer they munched on grass and branches and lamb chow. There was running and leaping and frolicking. They napped in the sun and napped in the shade and climbed on the deck, (which we didn't love. There was a lot of pooping involved! ) They broke into the hen house and stole food. They got in the rabbit pen and stole food. They ate bird seed and bird bread. They tried to get in the human house via the pet door, but luckily they never succeeded. They got in the garage every chance they got, and were nosier than any living creatures needed to be. They ate and rested and ate and grew and grew and today I took them to go to "freezer camp."

My friend Marion came over with her stock trailer, and we got the lambs put in with very little difficulty. I was worried that they would be scared. They didn't look scared, though. They looked nosy as they investigated the new digs.

Marion and I drove them to Jason's butcher shop in Albion, Maine. I was worried that the ride and the smell of the place would make them scared. They didn't look scared though. They nosily hopped off the trailer and went into the building there, with stalls and shavings. I was afraid they would be afraid, but they weren't.

I am left with a nicely groomed lawn, the memory of happy lambs growing, and the knowledge that these animals lived a good life and didn't die afraid. I have friends who are horrified that I raised sheep for food. In the past I never could have done it... but as a human I have the opportunity to change. As I have learned (see the movie Food, Inc. and/or read the book THE OMNIVORES DILEMMA) that the life animals raised commercially for human consumption in this country is not a happy one. I know the animals I raised were happy and safe and unafraid. Just curious till the end...

1 comment:

solarity said...

As I'm about to leave for work, I have an overwhelming urge to *brush out that lamb's coat* even though it's not a wool breed. Groomers are crazy.

Mary Anne in Kentucky