Monday, April 2, 2012

The excitement of CHICKS!

The chicks are here, the chicks are here! 54 tiny balls of fluff, cozy in a kiddie pool in the pantry under heat lamps. They peep and run, eat and eat and eat and drink then lie flat in a warm spot, legs stretched out, looking quite dead. Then, like popcorn kernels in a hot pan they pop up and run and eat and drink more. They are endlessly entertaining, and the sounds they make are quite happy. I recently was chatting with my daughter and told her that one of the few things that makes me a bit sad about getting older is that I no longer feel the highest of highs of excitement that I did as a child. When I was little I would get so worked up about Christmas I would literally become sick to my stomach on the way to see what Santa had brought. The thought of a plane ride had me soaring with the thrill of adventure for weeks before the event. As I have gotten older the peaks and valleys of emotions have smoothed out some. At least, most of the time. When the phone rang and I heard the woman on the other end say, "This is Debbie from the Union Post Office. Your chicks are here!" I was so thrilled I nearly jumped out of my skin.

No comments: